After almost a month of social distancing, we are starting to feel the toll that the quarantine taking on our mental health. The coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has forced us to slow down and be more isolated than usual, but there are some things we can do to combat the various feelings we have.
First, recognize that feeling overwhelmed is normal. You might be anxious, depressed, angry, or bored. All of these are common responses to isolation, and you may feel a variety of these within a short amount of time. To help cope with the quarantine, try some of these ideas:
These exercises have been proved to reduce anxiety, improve sleep, and lower stress levels.
- Popular APPs that will help you learn how to do these stress reduction exercises:
- Headspace (Free for one week)
- Insight Timer (Free, but need to pay for extra features and classes)
- MetaFi (Grand Rapids based). (Free!)
- Sounds True (Free and Paid content)
Keeping our bodies healthy is just as important as keeping our minds healthy. Try a new routine to decrease depression and keep fit.
- As the weather improves, walking outside can be very helpful.
Use the technological resources you can to keep up with family members and friends. We can keep each other from feeling isolated and improve our overall health.
Find out how you can help your local community:
- Discover more on servegr.com.
If you can’t connect with others, keep a journal to get out your thoughts. Consider keeping a gratitude journal to keep yourself focused on what matters.
Get some vitamin D and fresh air after being indoors for a while. Doing this may also decrease depression and anxiety and give you a chance to take a break from the pandemic reminders.
Start a new hobby or try creating something new. This can be anything from an art or writing project to a homemade meal. Boost your immunity and self-esteem by engaging in what you think is worthwhile.
Health for Life Counseling Grand Rapids here to support you through this stressful time. If you would like to talk to someone about your fears and concerns, please contact us. We have telehealth options available so you don’t need to come into the office.
- We are offering additional options to our clients and the community: Optional Secure Telehealth/ Remote Therapy (covered by insurance).
- Please do not hesitate to reach out to your therapist/clinician directly for details. We will customize a plan for your needs. You can also call our reception M-TH, 9-5, (616)-200-4433.
To learn more about counseling visit our counseling page here.
Or reach out for a complimentary 15-minute consultation here.
Or call 616-200-4433. We at Health for Life would be glad to help!
Please take care of yourself and your loved ones at the time.
Let us know how we can help.