I became a therapist after experiencing ongoing mixed anxiety and depression symptoms for a 10 year period of time. I decided I would do what I could to make sure struggling individuals did not need to struggle on their own. I take a unique approach to therapy where I emphasize challenge and perseverance in my clients. I will not work alongside you if I do not personally have the experience or exposure to do so, and will point you in the right direction if needed. If you’ve reached out, it shows me you’re ready to take the next steps to push yourself and grow.
I work with a variety of people and am happy to serve our community in any way I can. I also have many specialities that I emphasize as a therapist.
- EMDR Therapy and CBT Therapy for Athletes
- I have a strong desire to work with athletes and improve their mental game. As a former athlete myself, I have found that my mental state is subject to a lot of variability depending on what is going on in my personal life, not to mention situations I experienced both in and outside of a sport. An active lifestyle for most can be a form of self-care and I’d like to reinforce that routine to continue to make that a positive experience.
- I am currently a Jiujitsu competitor and hobbyist. I also dabble in pickle ball and other recreational sports. In high school and college I was a wrestler and track & field athlete, ending my career in college as a 2x D3 All-American.
- EMDR Therapy for High Performers and People in Business
- Since expanding my interest in EMDR Therapy, I’ve found great success in helping individuals who have an intense job or are a high performer (or an athlete) be able to zero in on issues large or small that are holding them back.
- EMDR Therapy has been an excellent tool in empowering people to keep their high performing drive while eliminating internal inhibitors often triggered by external stimuli.
- EMDR Therapy Intensives (4-hours) (for faster improvements), upon request.
- I offer cash rate EMDR intensives for faster improvements. Intensive sessions are designed for clients with complex PTSD symptoms and otherwise debilitating representations. However,
- These intensives will be rigorous but rewarding to those who seek this type of specialized counseling.
- Freeing Oneself from a Pornography Addiction
- I have experience working with men and young adults who struggle with pornography and want to break free from addictive tendencies. Shame is a major contributing factor to other mental illnesses, and pornography is oftentimes used to numb emotions like loneliness, sadness, anger, and anxiety.
- While addressing the pornography addiction, our goal for sessions will be to address the underlying contributors to the pornography use and address the emotional reactions that trigger the use.
- Couples Therapy
- Navigating the intricacies of relationships is not something to leave to chance or autopilot. If you’re wishing to connect better with your partner, improve communication styles, unlock each other’s love languages,and work towards choosing one another, then I am happy to help by offering couples therapy for your relationship journey.
- Pre-Marital Therapy
- Marriage is probably the biggest commitment one could make in their life and I have found passion in working with young couples in helping them set each other up for success.
- My work Includes communication, love languages, personality types, working on navigating different family cultures, financial management, and conversations around intimacy.
Accepts HSA Cards
Aetna Better Health of Michigan (Medicaid)
Auto Insurance Claims
Blue Cross Blue Shield
Blue Cross Complete
Flexible Savings Account (FSA)
Out of Network Insurance
Priority Health Medicaid
Brendan Cole MA LPC is a therapist in Grand Rapids, MI serving the West Michigan area both in-person and through telehealth. Brendan has extensive experience working with adults, young adults, and teens from a variety of backgrounds through individual therapy, couples counseling, pre-marital, and using EMDR Therapy. Brendan has helped people overcome issues with athletic performance, business performance, relationship conflict, trauma, depression, anxiety, and other issues. Brendan specializes in Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Narrative Therapy, and Strengths-Based Therapy to help you meet your goals. Brendan identifies as a married white male who cares deeply about the community.