[Episode 78 of The Intentional Clinician Podcast]
Dr. Michael J. Collins, author and surgeon, joins Paul Krauss MA LPC on The Intentional Clinician Podcast to discuss his new book, All Bleeding Stops. The story follows young doctor Matthew Barrett as he struggles to adjust to a difficult and brutal medical environment in Vietnam during the height of the war.
The following topics are explored in this episode:
- Raising awareness of the problems that doctors encounter in attempting to give without destroying themselves.
- Why is the suicide rate among physicians the highest of any profession (more than double that of the general population) and what can be done to help?
- How to deal with a sensitive personality and how to recover from a traumatic experience
- The traits that attract young people to medicine — compassion, sensitivity, and dedication – might make it difficult for them to reconcile their aspirations with the cold, hard reality of sickness and mortality: No amount of care will ever improve the situation.
“A generation of young men went to Vietnam naive and idealistic,” says Collins. “They returned home broken and disillusioned—if they returned at all. We doctors are often victims of a similar fate. Like soldiers, the things we see and do are often too much to bear. And, like soldiers, not all of us make it back.”
A part of the net earnings from the sale of All Bleeding Stops will go to qualified entities promoting mental health in the military and medical areas, such as PB Abbate and the PTSD Foundation, to help combat those severe mental impacts.
Learn more about All Bleeding Stops by visiting www.michaeljcollinsmd.com
Are you a parent of an adult that is having major difficulties? Is there conflict in your family about how much help to give your adult child?
- Preview the NEW On-Demand Online Video Course for the Parents of Young Adults by Paul Krauss MA LPC
- Want to get trained in EMDR Therapy? Looking for some great advanced EMDR therapy training? Check out EMDR Training Solutions and Register Today!
- Use the code INTENTIONAL at checkout, and get $100 Dollars OFF at Checkout!
- Remember, from my research, EMDR Training Solutions is the most affordable independent training on the market!
- EMDR Training Solutions: for all of your EMDR training needs!
Paul Krauss MA LPC is the Clinical Director of Health for Life Counseling Grand Rapids, home of The Trauma-Informed Counseling Center of Grand Rapids. Paul is also a Private Practice Psychotherapist, an Approved, host of the Intentional Clinician podcast, Behavioral Health Consultant, Clinical Trainer, and Counseling Supervisor. Paul is now offering consulting for a few individuals and organizations. Paul is the creator of the National Violence Prevention Hotline (in progress) as well as the Intentional Clinician Training Program for Counselors. Questions? Call the office at 616-200-4433.
If you are looking for EMDRIA consulting groups, Paul Krauss MA LPC is now hosting weekly online and in-person groups. For details, click here.
Follow Health for Life Grand Rapids: