Good news! All of the therapists at Health for Life Grand Rapids and the Trauma-Informed Counseling Center of Grand Rapids can work with you on a cash rate for counseling. Paying a cash rate simply means that you are not utilizing your insurance provider (e.g. Aetna Health Insurance) or you are paying a cash rate so that you can submit to “Out of Network” reimbursement through your healthcare insurance, if your plan qualifies. Many people also utilize cash rates because they do not want their healthcare insurance company knowing all the details about their health and wellness. We understand and respect your right to privacy and follow the American Counseling Association’s ethics guide as well as State Guidelines to protect your private health information.
In fact, deciding to pay a cash rate opens up various options for you.
- Your private health information will not be released to any health insurance company for any reasons.
- Your private health information will not be subject to interception by a spouse or former spouse that may share your health insurance plan. (It is not legal for them to intercept this information, but due to online insurance plans and mail sent to residences–some people get nosy with documents).
- Your private health information will not be subject to interception by a parent or step–parent that may share your health insurance plan. (It is not legal for them to intercept if you are over the age of 18, but due to online insurance plans and mail sent to residences–some people get nosy with documents).
- Your private health information will not be released to any private or public entity without a legal battle. We will protect your personal information and private health information.***The only exception to this is if you are actively attempting to hurt yourself or another individual–or if you decide to release this information by signing an “authorization for a release of information.”
- For instance, you may ask your therapist for a “reduced cash rate” for your therapy services since you are “out of network” and had originally desired to utilize your insurance. Our counselors will make sure to accommodate your request. Please note, that some healthcare costs may be tax deductible (please contact a Certified Public Accountant for details).
- Your insurance may accept “out of network” submissions or a “Superbill” from your therapist and, in that case, you may receive an insurance reimbursement or credit toward your deductible. In this case you will also pay your therapist directly their normal contracted rate first. Then each month (or whatever the desired frequency) you will submit proof of payment and service (Superbill) to your insurance company and receive whatever benefits your insurance company provides.
Paying a Cash Rate with our Grand Rapids counselors is easy. Simply talk to your therapist about their standard cash rate. You may use your HSA card at this time if you have one. You may simply pay your therapist directly at the end of the session. We look forward to serving you by providing excellent therapy services at this time, while accommodating your personal preferences.
***Depending on your financial situation you may qualify for a reduced rate.